It can be difficult for busy parents to come up with quick and easy healthy meals and snacks without reaching into the freezer for the quick fix or the cupboard to give them a packet of cookies. Snacks can often be a big part of your child’s diet, so it’s important that
most of the snacks you give them are ones you feel good about.
So, we’ve compiled a list of healthy meals and snacks for the kiddies that are quick, fun and easy to put together!
Watermelon pizza is a refreshing, fun and healthy snack/dessert for kids. Get the kids involved to choose their own toppings to create their “pizza’.
- Cut the slice of watermelon in half, half again and once more to give eight pizza-shaped wedges.
- Decorate the pizza with your choice of fruit.
- Sprinkle with coconut
2. GREEK YOGURT BREAKFAST BARK
Greek Yogurt Breakfast Bark is a power-packed treat! Just 5 ingredients is all it takes to make this on-the-go breakfast and snack!
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- Mix Greek yogurt and syrup in a bowl until combined. Pour onto prepared baking sheet and spread into a thin layer. Top with SuperGrains Granola, blueberries, and strawberries.
- Cover the baking sheet with a piece of aluminium foil. Place in the freezer for two hours, or overnight, until the bark is fully frozen. Slice into desired squares.
3. VEGGIE SNACK NUGGETS
Another creative and delicious way to serve up veggies to the kids, this fun recipe is a great way to help kids learn to enjoy veggies they might not otherwise want to try. Put them in the freezer and reheat for another day.
- Start with shredding potatoes, carrots, chopping onions, and defrosting peas.
- Cook veggies in a pan until they are soft and tender.
- Chill in fridge until easy to handle.
- Form nuggets
- Roll in breading and cook.
4. APPLE BIRCHER POPSICLES
The perfect fresh and light snack for a hot summer’s day! Your kids are going to love to make them and to eat them of course.
- Place the apple and lemon juice in a medium bowl and toss to combine.
- Place 1 apple slice into each of 8 x ⅓-cup-capacity (80ml) popsicle moulds. Divide the almond milk between the moulds and freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- To make the apple bircher, place the apple, oats, coconut, almond milk, honey and almonds in a large bowl. Set aside in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes until the oats are softened.
- Divide the bircher between the moulds and insert popsicle sticks. Freeze for 3–4 hours or until set. Makes 8.
5. BROCCOLI PESTO PASTA
An easy, nutritious and kid-friendly pasta that’s quick and easy to whip up on busy days This simple recipe is made with pasta, peso, steamed broccoli and some extra herbs if you want to make it tastier!
- Steam the broccoli until it’s tender enough to stick a knife through the stalks.
- Add the broccoli to a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blitz until smooth.
- To make pesto pasta simply mix a few spoons of the pesto with cooked pasta.
- Alternatively, the pesto can be stored in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 days or for up to 3 months.
Do your have more healthy snack/meal ideas? Share in the comments some of your go-to snacks/meals you make for the kiddies we’d love to hear them!