When it comes to selecting a nanny to help care for your children on an ongoing basis, there is no such thing as asking too many questions, however, there are some questions that we recommend including on your list.
Remember, we’ve selected the highest calibre of potential nannies and done all of the relevant background, reference and qualifications checks already, so now it’s just a matter of getting to know your options and deciding who feels like the best fit for your family.
The questions you ask your potential nannies may differ slightly depending on the age of your child/children, where you live and what you’re looking for in a carer, but this list will help you get started and then you can add your own questions too.
About the position
- Why do you want this job?
- What are you looking for in your next position?
- Do you have any questions about the job description?
- Do you know your way around this area?
Background and work experience
- Why did you get involved in childcare work?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- What are the ages of the children you’ve cared for?
- What are your favourite ages to care for and why?
- What is your favourite part about being a nanny? What’s your least favourite part?
- What is the most challenging experience you’ve had with a child you’ve cared for and how did you manage it?
- Do you have experience preparing formula bottles?
- Do you have experience following dietary restrictions and avoiding food allergies?
- Do you have experience introducing a baby to solid food?
- Tell me about the family dynamic and schedule of your past employers. Was it a casual environment or was there a strict schedule?
- What additional duties did you perform in your previous jobs? Did you do any light cleaning or run household errands?
- What do you see yourself doing in the future?
- What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
- Do you know other nannies in this area?
- Do you have any dietary restrictions?
- How would you structure your days with my child/children?
- What do you think your strengths are in caring for children?
- How do you handle tantrums?
- What is your approach to discipline?
If you need support in preparing for your interview with potential nannies, we’re here to help. Get in touch with us anytime.